When you want to whip something quick try this Instant Jowar/Sorghum Dosa which is crispy and crunchy. It is easy, healthy, delicious, and perfect for breakfast/ dinner. And, it is gluten-free.
Preparing different varieties of breakfast every day is an intimidating task. Since breakfast is the first meal of our day I try my best to keep it interesting and healthy, and filling.
Instant Jowar/Sorghum Dosa is a no-grind, no-fermentation, high-on-nutrition dish makes an outstanding choice for all those who are looking for a healthy wholesome quick dish for breakfast.
What is Jowar?
Jowar is an ancient grain. Its nothing but Sorghum. Jowar has a light color and texture with a mildly sweet flavor and is an excellent source of dietary fibre, protein, potassium and iron.
Jowar is a popular alternative to wheat flour and a wonderful ingredient for gluten-free baking.
How to make Instant Jowar Dosa:
Mix Jowar flour, rice flour and salt with water. Heat the Griddle on medium heat and pour the mixture on to the griddle/tawa. Add toppings of your liking. Here, I added only coriander leaves, onions and green chillies. When its golden brown, fold it and serve when its hot.
Serve this with Podis of your choice and chutneys like peanut/coconut / our Instant 2 minute chutney
Instant Jowar/Sorghum dosa
When you want to whip something quick try this Instant Jowar Dosa which is crispy and crunchy. It is easy, healthy, delicious, and perfect for breakfast/ dinner. And, it is gluten-free.
- Course: Breakfast
- Cusine: Indian
- Preperation Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Jowar: 1 Cup
- Rice flour: ½ Cup
- Green chillies 1tsp
- Chopped onion 1 small
- Water 2 ½ cup approximately
- Cumin / 1tsp
- Coriander leaves
- In a mixing bowl add both the flours, salt and water and mix well so that no lumps are formed. Let it sit for 5-10 mins and check for consistency. The batter should be thin like that of Rava dosa batter or Crepe.
- Chop onions, green chillies, coriander leaves and keep aside.
- Heat an iron griddle. When the griddle is hot enough, rub it with a drop of oil using an onion piece.
- To the hot griddle pan, pour a ladle full of jowar dosa batter in a circular motion. Start pouring the batter from the outside rim of the griddle/tawa to inwards centre of Griddle/tawa. (The method of pouring this dosa is similar to Rava dosa). Smear a few drops of oil around the dosa.
- Cook till bottom side starts to turn golden brown. Once it becomes crispy, just fold and serve. No need to flip.
- Remove from tawa and serve hot Jowar dosa with chutney, chutney powder, or sambar.
You can add any other veggie too to this like grated carrots. Chopped Ginger and Curry leaves can also be added.
Rubbing onion to the hot tawa imparts a nice flavour to the dosa as well prevents dosa from sticking to the tawa. This tip holds good while making any dosa.